Search This Blog

Tell me your email and I'll tell you a secret.

Tell me your email and I'll tell you a secret. Subscribe to our newsletter

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

my dad

My Dad came over for dins last night. He doesn't live nearby, but sometimes he has to be in town and he always stops by for a visit. It makes me glad that he saves this time for me. My Dad and I haven't always had the greatest of relationships, but I when he comes for a visit I feel like all that difficultness, harsh words and actions, are behind us and he can go back to being my hero, albeit on a much more human scale. (Turns out it's easier to forgive humans than heroes.)

He asked me what I'd been up to so I showed him this clip of Stephanie Dodd performing my monologue Dancer #3 last year. I wrote it specifically for Stephanie, for Jody Christopherson's Eschaton Cabaret (Bowery Poetry Club and Dixon Place, 2011-12), but here Stephanie performed it all by its lonesome at Sky Box.

I figured since I shared it with my Dad I'd go ahead and share it with you too. Some things to note: it was directed by Deborah Wolfson, original music from Anna Marquardt.

My favorite part is at the end when the audience seems really to take what she's saying to heart. I won't be a spoiler and tell you what it is, you'll just have to watch the whole 5 minutes and find out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment